Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 1/8
"'Role-gaps' or the incompatibility between the external social role and the inner personality, are considered as a problem in society. But Eckhart would not consider them necessarily a problem; rather he would see them as a possible sign of hope..."

Cyprian Smith, OSB; "Way of Paradox" p.47
09:50 AM - Apr 01, 2024
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 2/8
"By expressing the illusory nature of the role, the true self might be enabled to surface. By shattering the shell, there is a chance that we might get at the kernel. But it is not only our external, social personalities which are a tissue of projections and illusions."
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 3/8
"The same is true of much of our inner, private world, of what we may well be tempted to regard as our real 'self', but in fact is not. We are not our social functions or roles; but neither are we our private emotions or thoughts."
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 4/8
"This becomes clear to anyone who makes a serious practice of sitting still in meditation. The kind of meditation I am talking about here is not meditation upon anything or about anything."
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 5/8
"It consists simply of sitting still for a lengthy period and watching the various thoughts and emotions which arise in the mind; not trying to resist them, drive them out, or change them, but simply watching them without identifying with them or being engulfed by them."
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 6/8
"Because if we watch our emotions and thoughts for long enough, we may eventually become aware of something within us which is not these emotions or thoughts. If I am watching something, then I must be different and distinct from what I am watching."
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 7/8
"I am, indeed, none of those things which I am accustomed to regard as 'myself'; I am not my body, nor my mind, nor my emotions, nor am I all these things taken together. So what am 'I'? What is 'me'?
Jessica Sun 孙道言
A
thread 8/8
"There is something within me which is at all times perfectly detached, tranquil, and serene..."

Christian contemplatives name it the Ground of the Soul. For in each soul is the blood of the Triune God, the Silent Desert, of which the Persons of the Trinity continue to melt in and out.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}