indie perfume lover
A
thread 1/3
Question for grits folks (no, it doesn't involve sugar 😂):

I'd like to make them at home and I want them to be just like they are when I have them out--white and creamy with no particles. What are the best brands (both instant and reg) to get? I'm old with chronic health issues so when I saw one
10:06 AM - Apr 01, 2024
indie perfume lover
A
thread 2/3
of the stores I shop online had Quaker instant grits, I thought: Ooo, let me try those! Because trusted brand, experienced in mushy food, how bad could they be? Well, let me tell you--nasty af! I grew up on oatmeal and cream of rice, so I'm no stranger to cooking mushy, but it took me 'til packet
indie perfume lover
A
thread 3/3
three to get these to come out anywhere close to edible. And there's some kind of icky idk what thin bits of something throughout that no manner of cooking can get rid of. So unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm guessing their reg grits will have that too.

Help!

[Gif: Sam Elliot in cowboy garb]
R o K p h i s h
A
In response to indie perfume lover.
I have it on good authority it takes twenty minutes to cook grits.

"So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?"
My Cousin Vinny - Magic Grits - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_T24lHnB7N8

12:52 PM - Apr 01, 2024
indie perfume lover
A
In response to R o K p h i s h.
Thanks. Yeah, the reg long cooking kind sounds like what I should go with from reading an article that did a comparison. I think it's the only way I'm going to get the result I'm looking for. Do you happen to know if this good authority has a fav brand? 😊
01:05 PM - Apr 01, 2024
A Hayes
A
In response to indie perfume lover.
I'm not a grits person, but I've come to the conclusion that I may never have had good ones & I'm interested in experimenting. Here's an article ranking brands:
https://www.tastingtable.c...
11:11 AM - Apr 01, 2024
indie perfume lover
A
In response to A Hayes.
Ooo thanks for this. I like to get people's input over articles, but this seems like a well done ranking. I'm going to echo my spout with this article to try and get more input.

And lmao that Quaker instant ones are at the very bottom of their list. So my assessment was spot on 😂🤣
12:27 PM - Apr 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}