Angela
A
I'm not sure if it's just how my brain works but I really struggle when I ask a person's name and they start spelling it out without saying the name first. Please state your name then spell it.
05:11 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Angela.
I'm with you on this. Just say it. If I need a spelling, I will ask. I generally try to pronounce a person's name the way they do. Spelling it just confuses things.
05:18 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Angela
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
And it seems like people do it most often on long or difficult to spell names but if they don't say it my mind can't put the letters together.
05:19 PM - Apr 01, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Angela.
Right? I used to have a long weird ethnic name by marriage. It didn't matter how I pronounced it, people would mess it up just reading the name. Even inserting letters that were not in it. Say it, then spell it, if necessary.
05:23 PM - Apr 01, 2024
🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉
A
Some people just don't pay attention or respect you enough to try. My wife's name is 4 letters long and people still pronounce and/or spell it wrong.

It's Lara, not Lora, Laura, Lori, or any other variation.

It's pronounced "lore-uh", not "lar-uh", not "lair-uh", or any other variation.
12:58 AM - Apr 02, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to 🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉.
That one is a toughy because I and most other people would think it would be pronounced Lahrah. Reminds me of when my nephew was born, named Matthew Gerald. I saw the announcement, and used his full name when seeing the baby. Bro got very angry and said it's Gerahrd! Why not spell it that way then?
09:18 AM - Apr 02, 2024
🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉
A
One of my aunts continually spelled it "Laura", so I began to deliberately misspell her name, "Laurie", as "Lori". She figured it out and started spelling it right.
09:32 AM - Apr 02, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to 🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉.
That's just mean of the Aunt. When people state their preferences, you just comply. I have repeated told my SIL that my daughter uses her full name, Katrina, but she still insists on calling her Kati, a name I have never used, nor has my daughter. She was Katie, up to age 5, she's now 38.
09:40 AM - Apr 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}