Nathan Orr
A
thread 1/4
I remember a West Wing episode where the Democrat couldn’t believe the debate they were having with the gay Republican across from them. When he finally blurted out “how can you support them? You’re gay!”
04:59 PM - Apr 05, 2024
Nathan Orr
A
thread 2/4
The Republican responded that they are more than just a gay person and wouldn’t want to be seen as gay first and human second. That their political beliefs aligned more with republicans than democrats and that by being on the inside, he might help gradually shift their attitudes.
Nathan Orr
A
thread 3/4
Of course that was a long time ago, and I don’t claim to speak for 2slgbtqia+ people (or republicans) - but I could understand that answer. There’s more to life than one’s gender identity and people can make up their own minds as they see fit.
Nathan Orr
A
thread 4/4
And while I’m appalled by the modern Republican Party and the risk they pose to gender diverse people in the United States and abroad, I think it’s an oversimplification to assume that all gay people should vote the same way.
Jay D
A
Respectfully disagree. Would be like a Jewish person in the early 1930s that voted for the Nazis because they thought they could influence from within. I mean today’s GOP doesn’t have any truly principled stands on anything except bigotry.
In response to Nathan Orr.
05:14 PM - Apr 05, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}