Nefarious Newt
A
The last of the WWII veterans are almost gone, and with them, the links to the last great clash against Fascism and totalitarian rule have become tenuous. So tenuous, that millions do not believe that the worst parts of the world war were even real.
11:19 AM - Apr 09, 2024
Larry Canuck
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
World wars start in small, seemingly-unconnected ways.
WW1: an assassination of a Duke walking around in Sarajevo with his family. But there was tension in Europe for years beforehand.
WW2: Germany invaded Poland during the Great Depression amid tensions left over from WW1.
12:17 PM - Apr 09, 2024
Larry Canuck
A
In response to Larry Canuck.
WW3 started 10 years ago, when Russia invaded Crimea. Other wars have had smaller fuses, but everybody's just scared to admit it.
But when Russia and Belarus cross the Suwalki Gap in Poland and Lithuania to join up with Kaliningrad, it will be blatantly obvious.
12:18 PM - Apr 09, 2024
Steven Aufrecht
A
As other commenters noted, the children of those soldiers remember. There’s documentation. Also Europeans and Russians fought and their families remember. Not to mention the kids and grandkids of Holocaust survivors. Chinese and other Asians remember the savage occupation of Nazi ally Japan
12:17 PM - Apr 09, 2024 (Edited)
Nefarious Newt
A
In response to Steven Aufrecht.
I would like people to tell me the last time they saw the important moments of WWII celebrated throughout this county. Do we make a big deal about Pearl Harbor Day? Do we even celebrate D-Day in Europe with more than a showing of "Saving Private Ryan?" Memory of memories is not enough.
12:26 PM - Apr 09, 2024
Sue Paz
A
Yes. Although there is enough material - such as witness interviews on film - that makes the slow spread of fascism and the dehumanizing system of the Holocaust tangible for our generations, I think.
11:35 AM - Apr 09, 2024
Sue Lee
A
As the child of a WWII veteran, even though my Dad is gone I will never forget. 🇺🇸💙
11:32 AM - Apr 09, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}