Larry with an i
A
thread 1/5
The amount of trash that goes to landfill has dropped in Finland from 300 kg / year per capita (2002) to 2 kg.

Recycling works.

In my home city they're closing landfills and the one they leave is isolated from nature so that it's waters are cleaned and methane is collected for fuel.
01:56 AM - Apr 10, 2024
Larry with an i
A
thread 2/5
For reference: USA produces 2–3.6 kg (depending on the study) of community waste per capita per day – about twice the amount that Finland produced 20 years ago.
01:56 AM - Apr 10, 2024
Larry with an i
A
thread 3/5
How that works: we separate plastics, we have separate collection for biowaste, batteries, bottles and cans, glass, metal, paper, cardboard, electronics and fluorescent lamps. When we started separating plastics the amount of household waste dropped to less than a half.
02:00 AM - Apr 10, 2024 (Edited)
Larry with an i
A
thread 4/5
The garbage truck visits our two adult household once in every 12 weeks. The trash it collects is considered energy waste and burned in a plant that filters their exhausts.

The recyclables we take to a recycling centre, of which there are many on parking lots of bigger supermarkets.
02:06 AM - Apr 10, 2024
Larry with an i
A
thread 5/5
For biowaste, you can choose to have it collected or you can compost it. There are city compost inspectors who may come and check that you actually have a working thermal compost.

In the winter my household stores the biowaste as bokashi in buckets. I've had a worm compost too.
02:12 AM - Apr 10, 2024
Chris Puttick
A
They've had good recycling since we lived here c. 2006, and where we lived before in Manchester there was also some recycling (paper/card/metal). The poorer areas tended to be most resistant to recycling, one way or another, and Sheffield was fairly broken still end of the 90s (better now)
In response to Chris Puttick.
12:48 AM - Apr 11, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}