Cynthia Williams
A
thread 1/15
🛢️I want to share a recent event that happened to me in my new community role as a co-chair of a coalition orgs working advocating for affordable housing and transit in my city.

Several days ago, I received an text alert on my phone at 3:30 AM in the morning. An anonymous person sent me a text.
07:15 AM - Apr 11, 2024
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/15
The anonymous text was two sentences telling me to read a breaking news story about a prominent national organization that partners with my city's coalition.

The article link led me to an ultra-right conservative news outlet. It accused the org of 2 unflattering things and 1 illegal act.
07:21 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/15
I have never received an anonymous text like this before. EVER. Was this spam?

I got no sleep after 3:30 AM because I had only two question:

1. Is my city's coalition being sabotaged with this unflattering news report?

2. What do I do?
07:26 AM - Apr 11, 2024
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/15
Here's how I responded,

1. I sought online resources to verify that this text wasn't a phishing scam. My cell phone is my lifeline to everything I've got going now.

Answer: Yes, the text origination was legit, but it was an encrypted message from SNAPCHAT. Snapchat messages can't be traced. EVER.
07:31 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/15
2. I googled if it is possible for a person without Snapchat to receive a text message from a Snapchat user.

Answer: Yes, it's possible according to the Internet. But the Snap delivery is delayed for non-Snapchat users. The text I received was sent from someone several hours earlier.
07:36 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/15
3. Was the link to the ultra-conservative news outlet legit? i took a look.

Answer: Yes, it was. The link led me to a real news article released for the day. The article was positioned top left half of the e-newspaper. It was the largest news on my computer screen. The people mentioned were real.
07:41 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/15
After verifying a nutcase wasn't scamming or trolling me, I then looked at the full article's content. The question I had to answer next was,

4. Is the ultra-right news outlet spreading misinformation or was there really a concern?

Answer: There was no blatant misinfo. HOWEVER...
07:44 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 8/15
The data collected by the ultra-conservative online newspaper skewed the data to make it appear that something very illegal took place.

The stated reason for "conservative American concern"?

Black and Brown residents were economically hit by an org "monopolizing" affordable housing help.

A lie.
07:51 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 9/15
The text message I received in the morning was some ultra-right conservative group's attempt to start REPUTATIONAL DAMAGE for the org in question and...

For my city's entire coalition.

This is only my second month leading the group.

WTH????????????????
07:55 AM - Apr 11, 2024
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 10/15
As the USA draws closer and closer to 2024 Election Day, please be aware of the following:

1. Ultra-right conservatives are attacking every aspect of our democracy. The attacks come at all hours of the day and night.

Don't get ready once November 2024 is on the horizon.

BE READY NOW!
07:59 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 11/15
If you're attacked or the work you do is attacked by MAGA-related anonymous groups, do as I did in my situation.

STAY CALM!
STAY UNFEARFUL!
STAY FOCUSED.

Fear is a contagion the ultra-conservative want to spread amongst the rest of us. Fear that we have done something wrong.

Don't fall for it.
08:03 AM - Apr 11, 2024
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 12/15
When ultra-conservatives put together their stories, they always skew or makeup facts. Before jumping to take an impulsive action...

VERIFY!
VERIFY!
VERIFY!

VERIFY what you're reading or being told. Don't impulsively respond. MAGA isn't good at logic.

Logic will keep the rest of us safe.
08:08 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 13/15
Lastly, the anonymous text and news article sent to me was meant to divide the united front we (i.e., Dems, Indies, and tradition GOP) are starting to forge together.

DON'T LET MAGA TEAR THE UNITED FRONT APART!

I spent the rest of my day emailing and communicating with my coalition organizations.
08:13 AM - Apr 11, 2024
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 14/15
At the conclusion of my saga, I lost an entire workday because of some ultra-right group trying to cause my city's coalition a HELL OF AMOUNT of trouble

AN ENTIRE WORKDAY!

BUT...My city's coalition is stronger than ever. We are now aware we're being watched closely by MAGA. And...

WE DON'T CARE!
08:18 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 15/15
Don't let MAGA win if and when they come after you, spouters

Let the MAGA attacks help you double-down in your determination to NOT let them wipe away or destroy the unity of the good people working together in your local community.

Victory in saving each other and our democracy will be OURS.
08:24 AM - Apr 11, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}