EdwardA(callmeEd)Peterson
A
thread 1/7
This elicited an interesting thought.
To start, from what I have seen, a conviction would not necessarily preclude Trump from being president.
However, I believe it would drastically diminish his chances of being elected.
Christopher Bouzy @cbouzy
I cannot overemphasize the chaos and hilarity that will ensue IF Trump is convicted. Republicans have put all of their eggs in one unstable basket without devising a fallback strategy. This will lead to a chaotic Republican National Convention, resulting in a massive electoral defeat in November.
07:28 AM - Apr 11, 2024
11:16 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 2/7
Presumably, there would be Republicans who would also recognize that and would seek a candidate with a better chance of winning.
11:18 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 3/7
I doubt any other Republican candidate would fare much better in the current climate, though probably better than Trump himself, especially if he is convicted.
11:18 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 4/7
But what if the RNC decided to nominate someone else entirely? Someone already running for President and opposed to Biden?
11:19 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 5/7
What if the RNC nominated RFK, Jr. as the Republican candidate?
11:19 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 6/7
Now I haven't really considered Kennedy as a threat in November; the way I see it is that he's more likely to get votes from people who wouldn't vote Democrat anyway but can't bring themselves to vote for Trump.
11:20 AM - Apr 11, 2024
A
thread 7/7
But if he were the Republican candidate, he would also get the vote of every Republican who would otherwise have voted for Trump.

That might be the worst threat to Biden's reelection.
11:20 AM - Apr 11, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}