Ryan F
A
thread 1/9
I sit here on vacation in Philadelphia uncomfortable. I went to the Weitzman National Museum of American Jewish History. I highly recommend it if you haven't been. It's focus is on the history of Jewish people in the US, on the diaspora. I sit here after 6 months of violence & attack from Iran.
05:45 PM - Apr 13, 2024
Ryan F
A
thread 2/9
The violence of October 7, the failure to retrieve the hostages, and the violence of revenge. A leadership that cares more about exacting a pound of flesh than that of human life, keyboard warriors that care more for being right than empathetic, and chicken hawks that promote death & destruction.
Ryan F
A
thread 3/9
There was one exhibit from the Weitzman that has had me processing during this time, especially with Iran's current attack. That during the 1930s and 1940s the mood and actions of gov't and society in America concerning Jews in Europe. The exhibit is colored in black & red, evoking the darkness and
Ryan F
A
thread 4/9
frustration felt through out the time as diaporic Jews had to fight for an defend Jewish people abroad. Barriers were erected by gov't and social commentators. Political parties & movements were isolationist at best, and more commonly based in antisemitism. The fight to make others care was
Ryan F
A
thread 5/9
fruitless, unless it dovetailed with later military efforts & actions. Through it all, the displays, the memorable, the artifacts, and testimonials presented gave the feeling of hopelessness while fighting tooth and nail for the possibility of hope. The uncomfortableness of being here and not there
Ryan F
A
thread 6/9
— while knowing that being there would mean even less power. However, there was a spirit to never be resigned to the fate that death and violence was the only way. It is this uncomfortable feeling that one cannot directly help end the conflict and usher in peace for the region, but perhaps it can be
Ryan F
A
thread 7/9
done for one person, or be done for people here, or to never allow it to occur again. Or to show those that question Jewish people with "dual loyalty" that we are in fact Americans, despite what so many politicians and social commentators may say. It is a lot, and I sit with it, exploring how it is
Ryan F
A
thread 8/9
uncomfortable as a regional military force attacks another regional military force that was committing atrocities after atrocities were committed due to a failure of pursuing security instead of peace & growth. Many thousands have died, are dying, and will still yet die due to war, illness,
Ryan F
A
thread 9/9
and famine. I look back at my ancestors, both biological and ideological, for inspiration and I come back to that display of frustration, fear, and perseverance. I hope there is a better future for the people of Israel, Palestine, Iran, and all the countries in the region.
💔
ecsbrooklyn
A
In response to Ryan F.
Me too.

💔
06:18 PM - Apr 13, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}