Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans
A
Yup. Class of 1986 in one of the bedroom communities around Flint. Was fortunate enough to go to college, get a degree. I sometimes feel that generalized lack of job security is a big part of my psyche. The times I've been laid off or let go, I struggle with the "where am going to find a job" fears.
Michael J Sheridan @MSheridan62
High school Class of 1980. By 1982, when I'd decided college wasn't doing it for me, unemployment in the Flint, Mi area was in double digits, and they were laying off auto workers with 20 years seniority.

Flint, and workers everywhere, never recovered from that recession.
12:20 AM - Apr 14, 2024
11:22 AM - Apr 14, 2024
Viata Chew
A
In response to Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans.
Swartz Creek class of 1988 here! That early 80s recession hit so many folks. My dad worked for MTA over 10yrs, then he got laid off and never recalled. We lost our house and had to move in with my grandmother for a few years.
12:21 PM - Apr 14, 2024
A
In response to Viata Chew.
Wait, the Creek?? Home of the Dragons?? I was two years ahead of you, my brother was in your class.
We were fortunate because my parents were teachers. There was a definite malaise that settled over the whole area. And what felt like a pipe dream wish by a lot of people that "GM will come back"
01:04 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Viata Chew
A
I still brag that my high school mascot is cooler than anyone else's! Beat a dragon!

Both of my grandfathers and more than a couple aunts/uncles worked for GM and they still talk about it! So many other jobs were tied into GM running, some folks never did recover.
01:14 PM - Apr 14, 2024
A
In response to Viata Chew.
Remarkably, maybe a little surprisingly, not a lot of my extended family worked for GM. Paternal grandfather was part of the sitdown strikes of The Great Depression.
I vaguely remember the 4th of July parade downtown Flint had with Pat Boone as the Grand Marshal or such. Then the sad decay.
02:54 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Viata Chew
A
In response to Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans.
My maternal grandfather was part of the sitdown strikes as well! Call me crazy, but I'm starting to feel like we have probably passed each other in real life more than a few times 😅
03:44 PM - Apr 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}