RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/5
You know, somebody share an article of Food Network essentially becoming a cooking competition network, and not an instructional network. This is not exactly a new phenomenon. In fact many cable networks had veered to, or bleed into general entertainment, instead of the niche programming.
02:47 PM - Apr 14, 2024
A
thread 2/5
For example A&E showed a ton of artistic and cultural entertainment through to the mid 2000s, including one of my favorite shows, Biography. However, by the early 2010s, they started to go more and more into reality programming. For example Storage Wars, which I did like, and Duck Dynasty which...
A
thread 3/5
Let's just say the less said the better. Also consider Paramount Global's Logo network. This time 19 years ago (in 2005) It was restructured from VH-1 Mega Hits, a sister to the MTV networks. The goal was for programming for the LGBTQ+ Community, from the LGBTQ+ Community.
A
thread 4/5
However, it was gradually turned into a dump for classic TV sitcoms starting from 2017. Even networks like Biography, and DIY had to undergo a transformation. That is, Biography that showed actual biographical programming. DIY was supposed to be instructional for hobbies and home care.
A
thread 5/5
In short, these bleedouts happen. There's no rhyme to it, but a business reason to it. Even the classic channel G4 went to General Entertainment from being Video Games/Tech oriented, and it died out just as spectacularly.
PhiNight
A
There is one thing I like that has come about because of the proliferation of "reality" tv shows, and that's the entirely fictional comedies that parody them. "People Like Us" and "What We Do in the Shadows", for example. Those at least use the docu-reality format hilariously.
In response to Lee.
03:22 PM - Apr 14, 2024 (Edited)
Lee
A
In response to PhiNight.
I'll give you that haha
03:26 PM - Apr 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}