Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 1/5
The spirits of my grandmom and mom are in the kitchen with me whenever I cook. I often feel them, especially if its something I have fond memories of cooking with them or the smell brings back memories. Tonight frying chicken I could hear the gospel radio from my Mom-Mom's kitchen like I was there.
07:44 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 2/5
It was a small radio, just AM-FM and a speaker. Tuned to WDAS-AM gospel. The song plays in my mind, in my ears, "in the name of Jesus, in the name of Jesus, we have the victory..." I don't know who sings it but I know the words as well as my own heart.
07:47 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 3/5
Its as vivid to me as the smell of the chicken frying in my kitchen right now, as the sound of it in the pot, in the feel of the breeze through the open window so I don't set up the smoke detector. I take a deep inhale and can see Mom-Mom standing over a cast iron frying pan.
07:49 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 4/5
She's wearing blue slacks and a white shell like she wore in the summer. The kitchen is hot, an exhaust fan in the second window doing a better job than expected at pulling the hottest air out. I exhale and I'm back in my own tiny kitchen, using a pot because I'm not as good as Mom-Mom.
07:53 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 5/5
I'm good though, everyone says so, but its because she let me watch. She let me "help", she told me what she did as she did it. And like all things, I soaked her lessons up like a sponge. I wish there was more, I wish she and Grandma (her mother) wrote it down. I wish she were still here.
07:56 PM - Apr 14, 2024
Vegawriters
A
You have. Doesn't make it any less beautiful.
In response to Acey Deecey 🚀🚀.
10:07 PM - Apr 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}