Edmund
A
thread 1/8
We Must Protect the Elderly from Cruel Scams
I'm heartbroken to share the tragic story of 61-year-old Uber driver Lo-Letha Hall, who was killed in a shocking incident tied to a scam.
05:20 AM - Apr 17, 2024
Edmund
A
thread 2/8
As someone who has advocated for elderly friends and neighbors who've been victimized, this hits especially close to home.
Too often, these crimes against the vulnerable elderly go unreported out of shame or a sense of futility.
Edmund
A
thread 3/8
But we can't stay silent - we need to speak up and demand that our local officials take elder fraud seriously.
I've seen firsthand how these predatory scams can devastate lives.
Edmund
A
thread 4/8
A few years back, I tried to help an elderly professor and classmate who had been ripped off for large sums, with one victim feeling too defeated to even fight back. And when I was scammed about 18 months ago, I struggled to get law enforcement to take it seriously during the pandemic.
Edmund
A
thread 5/8
Now, I'm not elderly and I'm tech savvy, but his person stung many multimedia professionals, and was overseas and seemingly protected by their local government.
Lo-Letha's senseless death shows the human cost of these crimes. We must honor her memory by ensuring no one else suffers the same fate.
Edmund
A
thread 6/8
I'm calling on our community and local authorities to thoroughly investigate these cases, prosecute the perpetrators, and implement stronger protections for seniors.
If you know someone who has been targeted, please encourage them to report it.
Edmund
A
thread 7/8
Together, we can drive the change needed to safeguard our vulnerable neighbors. The time for action is now.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}