MEAction NOW
A
Fellow BIRD 🦢🦉🐦‍⬛🕊️ LOVERS and bird WATCHERS - How are you changing your bird feeding + bird watching routines right now? #H5N1

Are you making any changes?

I'm using different types of feeders for different types of birds. 😷 up while cleaning and refilling feeders 🧼🖐🏼

GOT ANY MORE TIPS!?
MEAction NOW @MEActNOW
🚨In new guidance for dairy farms

USDA_APHIS (Animal and Plant Inspection Service) is now urging to restrict non-essential visitors, among range of stepped up precautions to curb unprecedented spread of HPAI #H5N1

🔗https://www.aphis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/recommendations-hpai-livestock.pdf
04:27 PM - Apr 16, 2024
04:17 PM - Apr 17, 2024
J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him)
A
In response to MEAction NOW.
Since we got warnings about bird flu last year or two years ago, now, I’ve just stopped feeding the birds. It sucks, as I used to love watching them on the suet feeder out the kitchen window. I’m trying to do my part. Native plants can help feed them, though.
04:31 PM - Apr 17, 2024
MEAction NOW
A
I feel an obligation in a way - the wild birds in our urban setting probably rely on people putting out some quality food (there aren't too many of us doing so) as many people use pesticides to treat their lawns (if they do have a lawn). Wild food sources are a bit limited.
In response to J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him).
04:57 PM - Apr 17, 2024
J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him)
A
In response to MEAction NOW.
That is thoughtful of you. It’s a difficult conundrum. It would be helpful if there were lists of plants, especially perennials, for each region that are good to plant to feed wild birds. I don’t know the best place to get that info.
05:01 PM - Apr 17, 2024
RA
A
In response to J.W. Sutton, Jr. (he/him).
Just from my experience in the northeast: goldfinch and other songbirds adore goldenrod and evening primrose; larger birds like robins and cedar waxwings go for winterberries and chokecherries. And any flowering native that you don't cut back will provide seeds. Birds find them all. ☺️
05:11 PM - Apr 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}