Kody Boye
A
For my Introduction to Literature class in college (the first of many LIT courses I chose as electives,) we're being asked to write an interpretive essay from our assigned readings.

I am currently bouncing between choosing "The Bridegroom" by Ha Jin, or "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.
04:13 AM - Mar 15, 2023 (Edited)
Sashi Thapa
A
One of my kids did the latter at high school. Really enjoyed reading it but was bit upset when they got to the end and found it was meta-fiction. Would that affect your choice?
In response to Kody Boye.
05:16 AM - Mar 15, 2023
Kody Boye
A
In response to Sashi Thapa.
Oh, I -think- I understand the term, now that I've read the Wiki on it?

"Metafiction is a form of fiction that... reminds the audience that they are reading or viewing a fictional work."

I knew it was fiction going in (unless I missed something?)
05:52 AM - Mar 15, 2023
Sashi Thapa
A
In response to Kody Boye.
They thought it was a true story. This was a while ago, so can’t remember if teacher had told them it was meta fiction. From their reaction, I would say no. Don’t usually read short stories, but The Bridegroom sounds interesting.
06:00 AM - Mar 15, 2023
Kody Boye
A
In response to Sashi Thapa.
I've read both, and enjoyed both, so I don't think it will affect my choice -too- much. I didn't really even think of it as being meta-fiction, honestly. I'm researching the term now to see the exact definition of it.
05:50 AM - Mar 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}