Ellen Leigh
A
I'm sure a lot of people think we just let the weeds grow around here. There is a method to our madness, and by letting things grow, we have discovered a lot of interesting wildflowers we never noticed before. We still #weed , but mostly removing invasive species. #DailyPictureTheme #Weed
09:28 AM - Apr 20, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
A weed, not referencing invasive species, is only a weed because an individual considers it unwanted.
One of the most important "weeds" is the Dandelion. You don't need to let it go to seed, but let it bloom for the bees as it can be their first food.
11:46 AM - Apr 20, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
I've read a bit of push back on dandelions and bees. It said that at the same time as dandelions are blooming that there's a lot of tree pollen available and that pollen has higher quality proteins. IIRC it came from Michigan State U. which has excellent horticulture and apiary departments.
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
02:00 PM - Apr 20, 2024
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
In response to TheQuietOne.
Interesting.
Still, what if there were not a lot of trees in an area?
02:03 PM - Apr 20, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
In response to Carla Reid + Chilla.
Yeah, you know, I never thought of that because I've always lived where there are lots of trees. Really good point.
02:16 PM - Apr 20, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
In response to TheQuietOne.
We let our dandelions go and we seldom see bees on them. We let them go because we're not going to use herbicides to get rid of them and we're too creaky boned to pull them.
02:01 PM - Apr 20, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}