Ground Control
A
thread 1/8
Every once in a while, there is a tic that comes along in our politics. To excuse the former Republicans made politically homeless by MAGA because now they're on the "right" side.

Count me out. I'll even tell you why.
04:25 PM - Apr 20, 2024
Ground Control
A
thread 2/8
The last twenty years, a great deal of our nation's suffering has been the result of these people's poor decisions. 9/11, the Great Recession, the Broken Orange Man, the COVID plague...any one of those alone would invalidate the "both sides" argument.
Ground Control
A
thread 3/8
Yet, despite this mountain range of evidence, there are some who wish to forgive--or even lionize--obvious monsters like Liz Cheney or more recently Mike Johnson for "doing the right thing". None of them have truly repented. They're relying on your amnesia.
Ground Control
A
thread 4/8
And that's before you get into the hidden but horrible things they pushed for against immigrants, LGBTQ+ and homegrown minorities, all of which are STILL going on and too few of them have spoken against.
Ground Control
A
thread 5/8
Andrew Vachss said it best: "Some people, we forgive at our peril." That certainly applies to this crowd. The moment MAGA is gone, they will rebuild and adapt to this century. And I cannot shake a terrible suspicion that some of the forgiving will come along.
Ground Control
A
thread 6/8
Some of the actions they do to win you over? Yes, without a doubt, they are good (see Ukraine). But NEVER kid yourself about the why. They are to MAGA what Frank Nitti was to Al Capone: someone with the same goals but quieter means.
Ground Control
A
thread 7/8
You can disagree on this. In fact, if I've pissed you off, I will completely understand. But these people are my lifelong blood enemies. I know how they think and righteousness too rarely plays a part in it.
Ground Control
A
thread 8/8
"The last temptation is the greatest treason,/To do the right thing for the wrong reason..." --T S Eliot, "Murder In The Cathedral"

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}