Goose
A
thread 1/7
I’ve seen folks saying there’s no algorithm here. While that’s not actually true anymore, what people mean is that Explore and the “following” tab on the timeline are purely chronological.

In explore, you’ll see posts from the whole community, whether you follow them or not.
08:49 PM - Apr 19, 2024
Goose
A
thread 2/7
Explore also shows replies to posts, and is actually the only view in which you’ll directly see replies to other people’s posts without clicking through the posts that they’re replying to. It’s a good place to start—and you can use the search feature to find content to read and people to follow.
Goose
A
thread 3/7
In the “following” tab, you’ll see only the folks you follow, but that will include other people’s posts or replies that the people you follow quote or echo. Until you follow folks, this view is going to be pretty boring. Once you do, it becomes a great place to find content curated by your follows.
Goose
A
thread 4/7
But there are two other tabs. In the “curated” tab, you’ll see posts chosen for you by an algorithm. The results have mostly been vastly inferior to the following tab for me, but mileage may vary. It may be a good way to find new content when you’re still building your list of follows.
Goose
A
thread 5/7
The news tab shows you content from news sources, in chronological order. You can go to the settings to curate which news sources appear, so that you aren’t inundated with stories from Duck Fancy or whatever that have no relevance to you.
Goose
A
thread 6/7
The “viral” tab is another place where an algorithm is at work. Any post that gets 50 likes within 24 hours of its creation will appear on this tab, arranged by number of total likes. You can go there to see what people are reacting to right now.
Goose
A
thread 7/7
Just remember that which tab you choose is “sticky” and you’ll be taken back to that tab the next time you click on your timeline. So if it seems like the content here is repetitive, check the other tabs or spend some time in explore, and you’ll eventually build the timeline you want to see.
Goose
A
In response to Beth Snodderly.
I’ve circled it in the screenshot below. You’ll see the other tabs I mentioned next to it. All of them are accessed from the timeline.
05:41 PM - Apr 20, 2024
Beth Snodderly
A
In response to Goose.
Thanks! I was looking on the left. Appreciate your help getting oriented here.
05:42 PM - Apr 20, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}