MeganMcGibney
A
thread 1/6
It’s been 25 years since Columbine, and I still feel haunted since it was a big moment for my high school years. There’s a few reasons, but I’ll discuss how my HS treated students known as the “rockers” - punks, goths, metal heads, etc.
11:58 PM - Apr 20, 2024
MeganMcGibney
A
thread 2/6
The next day, security immediately profiled all rockers as potential shooters. They forgot about the usual troublemakers for a full week and gave anyone who even slightly resembled “rockers” a hard time.
MeganMcGibney
A
thread 3/6
Wearing a metal band t-shirt? Metal ball choker and dark eyeliner? A t-shirt from Hot Topic? “Let me see some ID, where are you going, do you have your schedule with you, etc.”

Classmates and friends of mine were targeted and were late for class, which was highly unusual. The reason?
MeganMcGibney
A
thread 4/6
School security targeting them. Two girls in one class started a petition for security to stop profiling them.

Other people I knew felt the profiling was OK because the Columbine shooters seemed harmless and look what they did.
MeganMcGibney
A
thread 5/6
Those rockers always had a hard time for liking music and dressing differently than most of the other kids. Bullying was common and some teachers openly had disdain for them. And then came Columbine.

A lot of people nationwide got hurt back then. Many talked about bullying at school pre-Columbine.
MeganMcGibney
A
thread 6/6
But what about post-Columbine? Rocker types aren’t all violent and plenty others are prone to violence. Music and clothes don’t automatically mean you’re violent. I shouldn’t have to say that.
Ashanti- Na
A
In response to MeganMcGibney.
Intended or not, this should be read as a "Parable," an immortal tool for teaching a simple truth & the clear moral lesson that, "harboring stereotypes based upon a person's outward appearance is unjust," & more importantly "behaving towards a person based upon differences," is likely illegal.
09:03 PM - Apr 21, 2024
Renee Tang
A
In response to MeganMcGibney.
That’s crazy. I am sorry this happened to you. It’s so wrong.
04:31 PM - Apr 21, 2024
MeganMcGibney
A
In response to Renee Tang.
Thank you. It didn’t happen to me though but some friends and classmates.
07:57 PM - Apr 21, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}