Deb
A
thread 1/6
THIS IS IMPORTANT! LISTEN UP GEN XERS!

OK, so some grown up truth for you: when you turn 40, you need to start having some tests done: Mammograms if your female or a male with a family history of the breast cancer gene.
Occult fecal samples for everyone.
Both tests are greatly improved today.
12:25 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Deb
A
thread 2/6
Mammograms nowadays are often digital. They sho detail that older tech didn’t. If you think it will hurt, schedule it between cycles. I never felt pain with my DDs, but everyone’s different.
A huge number of us have dense breasts that are harder to read. You’ll get a notice about extra tests, but
Deb
A
thread 3/6
DONT PANIC! They will do some ultrasound work and keep it in your file. They might wish to do a biopsy, but those are not as common as they were 20 years ago. Return to the same mammography center each year.

Testicles and prostrates need exams, too. But I have no experience there.
Deb
A
thread 4/6
Now on to the dreaded colon tests. We are lucky today. The newest fecal tests are very accurate. They sound kinda yucky to do, but it’s nothing. You mail it off and wait for the results.

If you get a letter that you have blood in your stool, you’ll need to see a doctor. They likely will schedule a
Deb
A
thread 5/6
Colonoscopy. The worst part is the prep, but the doctors are doing their best to make it easier. You have to empty the entire colon for them to see. Often there are polyps or a little diverticulosis that caused the blood. But colon cancer is greatly on the rise (thanks fast and processed foods!)
Deb
A
thread 6/6
You sleep during the test, and should plan on going for a nice breakfast afterward.

Questions? Ask away. And please QS this. It’s important.
Barbara Nelsen
A
In response to Deb.
Any male with a history of breast cancer in related women needs to be alert to lumps, changes, etc. Men are more likely to ignore a lump but if it progresses into lymph nodes it becomes harder to treat. Mammogram centers can easily perform them on males.
12:39 PM - Apr 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}