Khrissy Choate
A
Educational reading here. I am trying to learn when the Israel-Palestine conflict began. 10/7 wasn’t the start.
https://history.state.gov/...
11:23 PM - Apr 22, 2024
Verifiably Nobody
A
In response to Khrissy Choate.
It’s a long history of imperialism and exploitation, the British Empire is culpable in a lot of it.
11:25 PM - Apr 22, 2024
Khrissy Choate
A
In response to Verifiably Nobody.
Are there any books on the subject. I really want to learn more. I tried to bring this subject up on Twitter and got attacked and insulted by a Jewish woman who thought I was insulting her. All I said was that I wanted to know the whole history, and 10/7 wasn’t when this conflict began. 1/2
11:33 PM - Apr 22, 2024
Khrissy Choate
A
She started saying all kinds of weird things to me in replies. Things about how I ought to go watch something called Vanderpump Rules. IDK what that is or what it has to do with the situation. 2/2
11:35 PM - Apr 22, 2024
Rachel Poliner
A
I appreciate your question. Like lots of topics, I'd say start w/ Wikipedia. Also NYT's Thomas Friedman columns since Oct, The Atlantic on the war & antisemitism, Haaretz for self-critical Israelis' views. Even with pay walls, email gets a few free articles. Does that help? #PeaceNeedsDialogue
12:18 AM - Apr 23, 2024
Khrissy Choate
A
In response to Rachel Poliner.
Yes, thank you. I also got some book req’s on the subject.
01:11 AM - Apr 23, 2024
Rachel Poliner
A
I'd be curious about what books, if you're willing to share. Ok in DM if that's more comfortable.
10:01 AM - Apr 23, 2024
Khrissy Choate
A
Here are the recommendations I was given.
There are a lot of good books by even-handed historians. Scars of War, Wounds of Peace (Ben-Ami); The Peace Puzzle (Kurtzer); The Lingering Conflict (Rabinovitch).
10:58 AM - Apr 23, 2024
Rachel Poliner
A
I'm impressed; you're really jumping in. In case useful: Friedman's columns get at the current situation & how Iran & Arab countries play in - likely too recent and not the focus of the books. Atlantic articles get at how current US narratives connect (or not). Also good CNN's Amanpour's interviews
02:14 PM - Apr 23, 2024
Khrissy Choate
A
I was just recommended the three titles I shared here last night. I’m trying to decide which I ought to read first.
02:55 PM - Apr 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}