My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 1/4
'Cause it's not about confining Black and brown bodies, it's about keeping them from the opportunities, autonomy, and freedom of full, unfettered citizenship.

Slavery, sharecropping, Jim Crow, segregation, voter suppression—the intent is reserving the best stuff & opportunities for white people.
Ronald Alexander @djchefron
So, do they throw you back into prison if you don't pay?

Florida is charging formerly incarcerated people $50 a day even if they’re no longer in prison. The “pay to stay” fee is based on the length of the original sentence,
11:05 AM - Apr 24, 2024
11:11 AM - Apr 24, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 2/4
Does anybody think the, "have you ever been convicted of a felony" box on job applications was meant to do anything besides lessen opportunities for BBIMP who are more likely to be charged with them and have no decent representation or no better choice than to plead guilty?
11:13 AM - Apr 24, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 3/4
Does anybody not affected by onerous fines think about or care about how difficult it is to build a life when you are constantly paying fines, restitution, and late fees? It's expensive AF to be poor and have a record.

It contributes to recidivism, which props up the carceral industry.
11:17 AM - Apr 24, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 4/4
These fines are just another one of many ways to oppress people under the thumb of a white supremacist system.
11:20 AM - Apr 24, 2024
Adam Hackney
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
It's another way Republicans are trying to return to slave labor.
11:13 AM - Apr 24, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}