Kurt Seitz
A
thread 1/7
Nick Kristof:
"For me, watching as I reported from Israel and the West Bank, it felt ineffably sad, like a rerun of the invasion of Iraq: the delusions about a quick victory, the disregard for civilian lives, the lack of a local partner to establish order, the excessive optimism about outcomes...
12:37 PM - Apr 24, 2024
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 2/7
"Another parallel with Iraq was the support for this war from Biden, who had similarly supported the Iraq war. “I do not believe this is a rush to war,” he had said in 2002, underscoring how history rhymes. “I believe it is a march to peace and security.”...
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 3/7
"So far the war in Gaza has, according to authorities there, killed roughly 34,000 people, including about 13,800 children. The toll includes some 484 health workers, 100 journalists and 200 aid workers. The war has also damaged or destroyed up to 57 percent of the territory’s buildings...
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 4/7
"There is no end in sight, and I don’t see a path for Biden out of the mire in which he has placed himself that does not entail pursuing a fundamentally tougher and more independent path...
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 5/7
"This is a sad column to have to write. Biden has generally been an impressive foreign policy president... particularly astute in building connections... I think he’s personally a good man with a compassionate heart. That makes his complicity in the cataclysm of Gaza all the more tragic...
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 6/7
"As a young man, Biden watched Lyndon Johnson’s dream of being remembered for his “Great Society” collapse in the face of youthful opposition to an unpopular and cruel foreign war, with Johnson’s failures leading to the election of a corrupt president from the other party...
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 7/7
"I hope Biden takes action to avoid a repeat. Biden might listen in particular to one close adviser who is apparently in anguish over Gaza — for she is right. “Stop it,” Jill Biden reportedly told her husband. “Stop it now, Joe.”"

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}