Kurt Seitz
A
thread 1/8
I don't believe there has been a more consequential post from American history professor Heather Cox Richardson than this one...
09:55 AM - Apr 26, 2024
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 2/8
Marc Elias:
“I am in shock that a lawyer stood in the U.S. Supreme Court and said that a president could assassinate his political opponent and it would be immune as ‘an official act’... I am in despair that several Justices seemed to think this answer made perfect sense.”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 3/8
Ketanji Brown Jackson:
“If someone with those kinds of powers could go into office knowing that there would be no potential penalty for committing crimes, I’m trying to understand what the disincentive is from turning the Oval Office into, you know, the seat of criminal activity in this country.”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 4/8
Anthony Michael Kreis:
“Supreme Court justices who see forgiving student loans, mandating vaccines, and regulating climate change as a slippery slope toward tyranny were not clear-eyed on questions of whether a president could execute citizens or stage a coup without being prosecuted.”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 5/8
Liz Cheney:
“It cannot be that a president of the United States can attempt to steal an election and seize power but our justice system is incapable of bringing him to trial before the next election four years later.”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 6/8
Elena Kagan:
“The framers did not put an immunity clause into the Constitution.. And, you know—not so surprising—they were reacting against a monarch who claimed to be above the law. Wasn’t the whole point that the president was not a monarch and the president was not supposed to be above the law?”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 7/8
Thomas Paine (1776):
“[W]here, say some, is the King of America? [I]n America the law is king. For as in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other.”
Kurt Seitz
A
thread 8/8
Now the USA may be on the verge of a long drawn-out but ultimately successful coup (if DJT gets into office again) due to three SCOTUS justices appointed by DJT, with the assistance of Mitch McConnell, who is now backtracking his support for DJT... much too late.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}