Just a scifi nerd
A
I was only 3 when this happened but i remember when i learned this fact in my early 20’s and i was shocked. I mean i knew women had struggled for equality but hadn’t realized the level of oppression was so bad only a few years before i was born.
Rosetta @rosiegirl1957
This year is the 50th anniversary where women were legally allowed to have credit cards in their name. I had just begun my senior year in high school. First they take away your reproductive rights. Next it will be our financial rights. Let that sink in when you go to vote.
04:52 PM - Apr 26, 2024
07:38 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Rosetta
A
In response to Just a scifi nerd.
1/3 The reason why divorce was so low prior to the 1970’s is because women not only did not have reproductive rights but also did not have financial rights either. Women couldn’t even open up a bank account on their own without a man could-signing prior to 1974. The wage gap between men and women
07:57 PM - Apr 26, 2024 (Edited)
Just a scifi nerd
A
In response to Rosetta.
Yep. I learned that one two and i often use this argument to remind people what we are fighting for.
07:58 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Rosetta
A
In response to Rosetta.
2/3 was so much worse during this time than what it is now. Women were completely reliant on their husbands and could not afford to divorce them. The suicide rate as well as alcoholism & pill addiction rate among women plummeted while divorced rate increased when women had the opportunity to become
08:02 PM - Apr 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}