Stewart Tan
A
thread 1/9
Formula 1 update -
#F1

Although the next GP is still a week away, there have been some updates off-track that I think is worth discussing.

The first bit of news was about Adrian Newey, chief designer of Red Bull Racing, looking to leave the team. The news first broke on Thursday.
09:06 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 2/9
It's no secret that a lot of teams would love having Newey (e.g. Ferrari) and rumors like this happen all the time, but this was reported on multiple outlets, including the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/...
09:06 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 3/9
Apparently, he wants to leave because of... wait for it... Christian Horner 🤔 😀

Not sure if it's related to Horner's "issues" or if it's a power struggle after leadership changes. From the reports on The Guardian, it's not a done deal so we shall see!

https://www.theguardian.co...
09:07 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 4/9
The other big news is the Hulk (Nico Hülkenberg) moving to Kick Sauber in 2025. I didn't see this coming but in hindsight, it makes a lot of sense, since Audi enters F-1 in 2026 and they need an experienced driver to be able to shorten the learning curve of F-1.
09:09 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 5/9
The big question (for me) is where Carlos Sainz goes in 2025.

The F-1 twit account has this nice graphic of the 2025 driver lineup and which teams have seats left.
09:10 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 6/9
IMHO, there are 3 options for Carlos:

1) Kick Sauber
Initially, I didn't think this was likely but Hulk's signing changing things. He obviously saw something he liked or he would not have made the leap.

If they are able to sign Carlos, it allows Audi to hit the ground running in 2026.
09:11 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 7/9
2) RB Visa
This could be a good option for Carlos as neither Danny nor Yuki seems to be able to perform consistently for the team and they need to bring better results to justify the cost of maintaining the team.
09:12 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 8/9
3) Aston
Aston seems like a logical choice, their car seems to have potential and Carlos could be a great addition to the existing team. Slight problem would be a guy named Lance 😀

So unless dad has a heart to heart talk with his son, it probably won't happen.
09:14 PM - Apr 26, 2024
Stewart Tan
A
thread 9/9
Now that Haas has a seat to fill, the likely driver to fill the seat is Ollie Bearman who did an excellent job subbing for Sainz when he had his surgery.

The Haas team uses a Ferrari engine so that seems like a logical choice.

More action off than on track for F-1!
09:42 PM - Apr 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}