Craig Baird
A
thread 1/5
Canada has many beautiful national parks, and I am looking at the history of each one.

Today, it is Vuntut National Park in the Yukon!

Located in the far north of the Yukon, the area of the national park is in the territory of the Dene and Inuit.
01:20 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Craig Baird
A
thread 2/5
The park was formed in 1995 as part of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Agreement. The agreement pledges to protect, present and conserve part of the natural region of the North Yukon.

The name Vuntut comes from Gwich'in, meaning among the lakes.
Craig Baird
A
thread 3/5
The park measures 4,345 square-kilometres but due to its remoteness, less than 25 people a year enter the park.

Most visitors go to the park from June to August. While open year-round, there are no facilities or developed trails. Backcountry camping is allowed, but sport fishing is banned.
Craig Baird
A
thread 4/5
The park, which was not glaciated during the last ice age, has many Pleistocene fossil sites.
Many animals are found in the park including caribou, moose, grizzly bears, wolves, black bears, wolverines, muskoxen and golden eagles.
Craig Baird
A
thread 5/5
If you enjoy my Canadian history content, you can support my work with a donation at https://www.buymeacoffee.c...

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}