Sabine
A
Why do people feel attracted to authoritarianism? What role play poverty, shame and the lack of perspective? What could be done to mitigate those tendencies?
This article (German) discusses recent research on that topic and interviews one of the leading (German) scientists in that field.
09:56 AM - Apr 25, 2024
Jess Huffman
A
In response to Sabine.
I don’t disagree with the role of poverty as a strong contributor to alienation, but much of Trump’s support is far from poor. It seems to me though that there is more to it, e.g., the tendency of the Right to see Property Rights as equivalent - even superior - to Human Rights.
05:53 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Ethical Atheist
A
Is whiteness and is unwillingness to share.

Fear off losing their privilege/money.

My brother and his wife are very wealthy. They only want more. It's how they measure their worth.

That is white culture. Selfishness.
In response to Jess Huffman.
06:09 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Jess Huffman
A
In response to Ethical Atheist.
I agree that’s part of it, but broad cultural strokes that homogenize everyone maybe over-simplified. I agree a lot of the problem may lie in Capitalism ( see “The Price is Wrong”, by Brett Christophers). Which has little to do with free markets, and now seems more a defense for extremes & abuse.
06:20 PM - Apr 27, 2024
Ethical Atheist
A
In response to Jess Huffman.
Capitalism is the fantasy of merit that insures all the power, money and control stays with those that already have it.

Whiteness.
08:06 PM - Apr 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}