Salma Typhii
A
A note on Turkey: it may be free but you don't get to pick what you study. Your national exam scores assign you to a major whether you want to study it or not. I knew a lot of vets who hated animals, engineers who wanted to be architects, etc who were miserable
Milla Mélomane @Britpoptarts
Via Terry Brawley
01:25 PM - Apr 28, 2024
01:28 PM - Apr 28, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
Yikes. That would be really hard, to be forced into a job you hated.
01:30 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
It sucked. My friend completely caused a scandal because she did her law degree and then turned around and paid for the degree she really wanted, archeology. It is considered a topic for the losers who scored bottom tier
01:34 PM - Apr 28, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
Because the pay is not as good as law, I'd guess.
01:35 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
And it was one of the "lower order" knowledge identified during the creation of the Turkish Republic in 1923. It was thought it wasn't needed to create a modern nation. Kinda typical of the era unfortunately. Linguistics and History had higher status because of rewriting history in modern Turkish
01:41 PM - Apr 28, 2024 (Edited)
DrMHasOpinions
A
Very interesting!
01:42 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
The whole language reform is fascinating! People today can't read or understand things written in 1920. Different alphabet, different vocabulary, different everything 🤯
https://academic.oup.com/b...
01:50 PM - Apr 28, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
Thank you for sharing this. I had NO idea.
01:55 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
It is absolutely fascinating and still super relevant. Erdoğan and Co. want to go back to Osmanlı words (if not script) because it ties closer to the Ottoman Caliphate so you knew people's politics by the words they used. And let me tell you, as a foreigner it was confusing!
02:03 PM - Apr 28, 2024
DrMHasOpinions
A
Wow. Track your enemies by their word choices. Novel and terrifying.
02:06 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
IKR! My Turkish teachers were secular as were most of my Ministry of Health colleagues but the higher ups were AKP. They used me and my vocabulary to take political pot shots at each other 🤣 My vocabulary is quite good now!
02:12 PM - Apr 28, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}