Janicket The So-So
A
thread 1/7
Speaking of how to treat animals, in particular dogs: I was friends with a family that got a young dog to be friends with their old well-behaved dog. But they didn’t put much if any training into the exuberant “I want LOVE!
09:13 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 2/7
” pup and kept it on a chain in back of their house, with very little human interaction. These weren’t inherently bad people, but they were used to a Good Dog and didn’t have the patience to train the youngster properly, poor thing.
One day I was visiting and went out back.
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 3/7
The poor dog was thrilled to see me, wanted to jump up, etc. Now, I’ve never owned a dog but I understand them. I spent the next hour or two with the dog on a leash, gently discouraging unwanted behavior, calmly praising and petting when it did what I wanted.
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 4/7
The poor damned thing inhaled every bit of attention and became much calmer. Heck, it wound up leaning against my leg when I said "Sit" and it sat, gazing up at me adoringly.
By the end of our time the dog was sitting when requested and walking politely by my side.
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 5/7
We walked around the house and up to where the family were sitting outside. As I approached they started telling me how untrainable and obnoxious the dog was – then stopped, dumbstruck (and I suspect somewhat embarrassed and annoyed) at how I’d succeeded when they’d failed.
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 6/7
Alas, they didn’t carry on from where I’d left off and the dog later escaped twice – the first time to be caught and returned by the animal control officer, who had it briefly at home where his kids loved it, then shortly after its return got away again to a fate unknown.
Janicket The So-So
A
thread 7/7
Sure, some dogs are harder to train than others, but there’s no excuse for doing a crappy job, then blaming the dog for one’s own failure. If you try and fail, get professional help, or find a home where the dog can thrive.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}