Richard Hudak
A
thread 1/9
After turning a blind eye to the question of Palestine throughout early opposition to the Iraq war, a fight over free speech and academic freedom at my children’s high school forced me to focus on it. A colleague connected me with an antizionist Jew who was on a book tour.
05:41 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Richard Hudak
A
thread 2/9
I led an effort to bring her to town to speak.

Subsequently, I began to educate myself, personally and professionally, on justice for Palestine and to make relevant personal and organizational contacts.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 3/9
I published a review of a research monograph by an Israeli sociologist on the First Intifada, and brought veterans of both sides of the conflict, who traveled together to advocate for peace, to speak to my class.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 4/9
I welcome the new attention of students to these issues, because I have long labored in relative darkness to illuminate them.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 5/9
John Paul Lederach, a protégé of the late great Elise Boulding, whom I have been privileged to meet, spoke to Krista Tippet of “On Being” about critical mass and “critical yeast.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 6/9
” Students here in the US and elsewhere are now critical mass for a cessation of mass death and forced migration of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, where Hamas has not even been a factor.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 7/9
I’d like to count myself among the smaller “critical yeast” of those present before and after critical mass, on whose shoulders I stand.

While I do not know everything there is to know about the history and dynamics of this genocide, it cannot be claimed I don’t know what I’m taking about.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 8/9
One thing I do know from experience, and as a student of social movements, is that they who try to suppress free speech have already lost. History is not on their side.
Richard Hudak
A
thread 9/9
I’m not claiming a guarantee of success, but observing that those who use force to suppress speech have already ceded moral high ground. They’ve relinquished an advantage. Next year in freedom; next year in liberation. #freePalestine

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}