Nathan Standing
A
For most of my (long) life, politicians routinely reaffirmed our democratic values. Until the GOP stopped. Now it's just Democrats who insist that being a diverse nation is a virtue.

Who knew that it mattered so much?
01:02 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Nathan Standing.
The GOP said it but never believed it at all. If you lived in a place dominated by them like UT it's obvious
01:11 PM - Apr 28, 2024
Nathan Standing
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
That's one reason I'm surprised. I thought when Republicans wincingly reinforced democracy, everyone could tell it was pro forma. I thought we were discounting it as political correctness.

And I was wrong. Even fake reinforcement worked. We can see it now that they've stopped even that.
12:48 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
They wanted us to believe they believed in democracy for those that aren't white men of property but never actually believed, IMO. Just look at their record since 1965! They blah blahed the right words but never acted on them
In response to Nathan Standing.
12:50 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Nathan Standing
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
I agree completely that Republicans have been hypocrites about democracy for decades.

And it didn't matter. Just saying the words insincerely helped reinforce that we all aspired to democracy.

And when the GOP stopped pretending, their voters stopped with them. Words do matter.
12:53 PM - Apr 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}