Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/9
I am not sure why this is directed at me, or if this is intended as some sort of public call-out. If so I'm not sure why- I am quite critical of the protests myself.

I would however voice several objections to your points here:
DC in the DMV @Dissavowel
@Anton_Brakhage Protesting college students now direct their ire at Israel and the U.S. instead of calling out Iran's role in Gaza. Iran has deployed Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis and its elite Revolutionary Guard in a sustained effort to undermine Israel, Saudi Arabia and peace in the Middle East.
04:58 AM - Apr 29, 2024
07:39 AM - Apr 29, 2024 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/9
1. While people absolutely should condemn Hamas and it's allies because they're r*pists and murderers who are, yes, also oppressing Palestinians and sacrificing them for their cause, this condemnation should be in addition to, not a deflection from, criticism of the Netanyahu government.
07:41 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/9
I'm not sure if that was your intent, but that's how it came off a bit, so I want to clarify my views there.

Secondly, I object to broad, lazy stereotypes of young people/college students as lazy, entitled, privileged, etc, as these are just bog-standard Right-wing ageism and anti-intellectualism.
07:42 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/9
Most college students aren't even taking part in the protests, and not all protesters are students. Stereotypes benefit no one, and Democrats making GenZ collectively into enemies plays into fascist divide and conquer tactics.

As for Hamas supporters, I regard them as morally equivalent to MAGA.
07:46 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 5/9
I'd add that while many protesters may use it in this manner, equating the Palestinian flag to support for Hamas is a-historical, as it predates Hamas by decades.

Likewise, the keffiyeh is worn throughout the Arab and Muslim world, and objecting to anyone wearing it is Islamophobic and racist.
07:57 AM - Apr 29, 2024 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 6/9
I would also critique your characterization of the protesters as pacifist- some may certainly be so, but those who support Hamas most certainly are not, and I have too much respect for pacifists to call them such.

Indeed, criticizing a group for being both pacifist and pro-Hamas is a contradiction.
08:07 AM - Apr 29, 2024 (Edited)
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 7/9
Finally, the oft-repeated notion that US youth/students are lazy, ignorant, or entitled because they're no longer drafted and sent off to war is another prime example of Right-wing propaganda.

My opinion of conscription is that it violates the 13th Amendment's prohibition of involuntary servitude.
08:09 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 8/9
Lastly, I would ask, without presuming to know the answer, what your view of a ceasefire is, since you criticize demands for one, but also acknowledge widespread destruction in Gaza and express support for the Biden administration, which is currently attempting to negotiate one.

(I agree with the
08:10 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 9/9
Biden administration's support for a negotiated ceasefire with return of hostages, and ultimately a two-state solution.)
#Gaza #Israel #Palestine #Protests #Ceasefire #CeasefireNow #VoteBlue
08:11 AM - Apr 29, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
One could very well argue that the best reason for the US to guarantee Israel's security, at this point, is to ensure that it is never in a desperate enough position where using those nukes looks tempting to the leadership.
In response to Anton Brakhage.
08:15 PM - Apr 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}