Whoa!
A
thread 1/18
Time for another Sea Story with Whoa, eh?

Exactly 29 years ago today, my ship left our homeport of 32nd Street Naval Base in San Diego heading out on a six month deployment. The first for me, but not my ship's or many of my shipmates' first. I had left the country before, if you count (more)
06:23 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 2/18
a handful of times going to Tijuana. That's technically leaving the country. I understand that today, Tijuana is off limits to Sailors and Marines stationed in San Diego. That's probably a good idea, unless it's it's a lot safer now than it was when I went.
06:25 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 3/18
But, this thread isn't really about Tijuana. Those stories will be saved for another time. No, this thread is about me heading overseas for the first time. I had been AT sea plenty. We typically left the pier and got out to sea most weeks, but we normally just sailed 200 miles off the coast of SoCal
06:28 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 4/18
Usually doing exercises. You know, playing war games, putting out fake fires, occasionally putting out real fires. Basically learning how to work as a team and take care of each other and the ship in all sorts of circumstances that only a Navy ship would ever experience.
06:30 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 5/18
So on this day, after months of preparations, we were leaving our home port and heading out to accomplish a mission for the Navy. In our case, patrolling the Persian Gulf to keep shipping lanes open and safe for all, chase pirates, and maintain a present both for our allies and our enemies.
06:33 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 6/18
Prior to leaving, sailors had to make personal preparations. If they had an apartment or house, they had to figure out what to do with it. If they had a car, they had to find storage. If they had a family, they had to figure out childcare, etc.
06:35 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 7/18
As for me, I was a young, single guy. I had a truck, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it was left with my parents back in TX. I lived on the ship full-time. So all I had to do was prepare mentally.
06:36 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 8/18
That morning everyone's family members were on the pier saying goodbye to their sailor that they wouldn't be seeing for six months. I didn't have anyone on the pier. Everyone I knew in San Diego at the time, was going with me. 😂
06:38 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 9/18
Once they finally pulled the brow and the mooring lines and announced "Underway!" over the 1MC (loudspeaker), it was finally sinking in for me. I was excited. After all, this was why I joined the Navy - travel. Every sailor who wasn't directly involved in getting the ship out to sea and navigating
06:41 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 10/18
through the bay and out to sea manned the rails. That's what it's called when you see a U.S. Navy ship and all the sailors are lined up along the rails in their dress uniform and standing the same (at parade rest).
06:43 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 11/18
It was a beautiful sunny day as I recall. I had been through the bay many times before on our way out to sea, but this time was different because we were actually going somewhere. Hawaii to start with and I was very excited about that. It would take us 7 days to sail from San Diego to Hawaii.
06:46 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 12/18
This was our first stop and our last stop in America. It was probably the most beautiful place to pull into. I couldn't believe how blue the water was pulling in. Everything was gorgeous. I wish I had taken more pictures. But, cell phones were not a thing then and I was working when we pulled in.
06:48 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 13/18
I was messenger of the watch for the Sea and Anchor detail. This meant that I had to run messages from the Officer of the Watch to whoever. Plus when we pulled into port, I went to the back of front of the ship to help hoist the flag or the Union Jack as soon as we moored.
06:50 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 14/18
Altogether on my first deployment, we went to Hawaii, then Manila in the Philippines, then Singapore, then Phuket, Thailand, then back to Singapore briefly, then off to the Persian Gulf for 3 months. While there, I saw Bahrain, Dubai, and Oman. Then we left the .Gulf and headed South to Australia.
06:53 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 15/18
Sydney to be exact. We spent 7 glorious (and drunk) days in Sydney. Then sailed to Pago Pago for a brief refuel and stores. Then back to Hawaii and then back "home" to San Diego.
06:54 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 16/18
I had so much fun on my first deployment. A few weeks later, we in port (tied to the pier) at quarters one morning when it was announced that another ship in San Diego was leaving on deployment in a couple of months and were short SH's (my rate). They asked for a volunteer to go with them.
06:57 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 17/18
So of course I volunteered to go on deployment with the other ship. We had returned from my first deployment in October of '95. I left on the other ship in March '96 for a four month deployment. And when I got back in Aug '96, I found out, my ship was leaving on deployment again. 😄
06:59 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
thread 18/18
So I left on my 3rd deployment in November of '96 and returned in February of '97. That was my shortest deployment and didn't include any time in the Persian Gulf. Instead we went to the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean to run down pirates and drug runners. So fun! Anyway happy anniversary to me.
07:01 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Heidi Hafeken
A
WOW. That sounds like lots of adventure and fun. In 95 where was I, working.
In response to Whoa!.
09:24 PM - Apr 29, 2024
Whoa!
A
In response to Heidi Hafeken.
It was a lot of adventure. That used to be the slogan back then. It's not just a job, it's an adventure. 😂

There were a lot of good times and a lot of bad, too.
09:33 PM - Apr 29, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}