Karen Patricia Lea
A
All the warnings of ultra processed food & additives made me stop eating Weetabix for a while because it was featured as an example in an article. But I've struggled to find alternatives I like so I bought it today and checked - it has 4 ingredients? How does that make it ultra processed??🤯
02:57 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Dina Loves Dogs
A
In response to Karen Patricia Lea.
That’s a great question. What is it about “processing” that causes concern enough to warn people off processed food? Cleaning and cooking the wheat is processing, milling it into flakes is processing, and pressing the flakes into biscuits are all considered processing.
03:20 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Karen Patricia Lea
A
In response to Dina Loves Dogs.
I've only heard ambiguous answers like, many processed foods also contain high amounts of salt and sugar, or that they don't yet know the exact effect the additives and processed foods will have on our bodies; it needs more research etc etc. So, in the meantime, what is safe to eat??
03:26 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Dina Loves Dogs
A
Chopping, grinding, cooking etc can make a food hit your bloodstream much faster than if it was eaten in the original form
03:29 AM - Apr 30, 2024 (Edited)
Dina Loves Dogs
A
People who have diabetes need to watch for this. Some suggest over consumption of highly processed foods is factor in type II diabetes
03:30 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Karen Patricia Lea
A
I have type 1 diabetes though. I think most of the perceived danger is in the amount of chemicals used for preservation, colouring or other things used to affect the appearance of foods, etc. (However, not using any preservatives can hardly be expected??)
04:01 AM - Apr 30, 2024
Dina Loves Dogs
A
That’s it, exactly. I just don’t trust a business to care about my health. They only care about company profits.
How many times have you read the sentence “Our product blah blah in moderation as part of a healthy diet…”
Well sure, but the healthy diet is probably healthier without your product
04:06 AM - Apr 30, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}