Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/5
Conservative leader and Canadian MAGA Pierre Poilievre was temporarily ejected from the House of Commons for "unparliamentary" conduct after insulting Prime Minister Trudeau, and repeatedly refusing to withdraw it. The entire Conservative party then walked out in support of Poilievre.
07:20 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/5
Poilievre îs a fascist intent on destabilizing Canada. He supports insurrectionists, has ties to fascist conspiracy theorists, dabbles in election denialism, and has stated he will override parts of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And like Trump, he has the complete backing of his party.
07:21 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/5
However, as the article notes, polls show him winning a larger majority- which in Canada's system, where there is little real check on a PM with a majority, would effectively make him a dictator on day one.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/5
Because of his more subdued presentation (and that of Canadian politics in general), I do not believe most Canadians realize the magnitude and urgency of the threat. I also think there's some national chauvinism here- a lot of Canadians, I've found, tend to look down on US politics as more backward.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 5/5
So I think for many Canadians, there is, consciously or subconsciously, a sense that "That's an American problem, it couldn't happen here."

But there is no country immune to fascism, and thinking it can't happen here is an effective way to make sure that it does.
#Poilievre #Fascism #CanadianMAGA
Anton Brakhage
A
Trudeau is not a fascist. Poilievre is, a conclusion I reach based on his associations, refusal to decline an endorsement by Alex Jones, and open, full-throated support of insurrectionist convoyers.

Blocked.
In response to Doug Says….
07:41 PM - Apr 30, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}