Nick
A
I think about this often. The global clusterfuck that we've seen the best part of the past decade has been deeply disappointing for new music. Why is that?
Rich OB @Richz
👇👇👇
07:47 PM - Apr 30, 2024
08:25 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Ken Venet
A
In response to Nick.
In addition to the corporatization already mentioned, I think it’s also due to the nature of protest and protest music. Much more siloed and compartmentalized now. The mass resistance from back in the day, gave rise to a more cohesive body of music to power the social movements, IMHO.
09:04 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Nick
A
In response to Ken Venet.
Hmmm. On the flip side, if true, this does not bode well for cohesive protest!
09:10 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Nick.
By 1996, most radio stations were bought up by entities like Susquehanna and Clear Channel. Live regional DJs were replaced by prerecorded shows with ad slots sold locally. Now ad delivery is the primary task of radio stations. This also means there's a homogeneous flavor to broadcasts nationally.
08:30 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Milla Mélomane.
Short answer: Because the connection between fan and artist was deliberately tampered with, for profit. The way younger folks discover music has changed. Bonding over shared musical interests has gone online. Seeing live music is hard on a budget. Owning physical media is seen as quaint.
08:47 PM - Apr 30, 2024
Milla Mélomane
A
In response to Milla Mélomane.
That's how I see it, anyway.

Full disclosure: I was a college radio DJ post-1996 & college radio (or streaming stations online) is the closest you'll get to how radio used to be. (There are FCC rules that stifle profanity over the airwaves, so there goes a lot of angry political music right there.)
08:51 PM - Apr 30, 2024
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}