Anton Brakhage
A
We are seeing riots across the country, and that absolutely is something the President should address.

Attacking anyone who even suggests the president should say something is not a reasonable response.

What could he do, beyond make a statement? I don't know. But if nothing else he can address it
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his) @RobPalmerIRL
Question: HOW do you want him to address this, and WHAT THE HELL do you want him to do about everything with his limited power?
06:25 AM - May 01, 2024
06:30 AM - May 01, 2024
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
You've just touched on my frustration here. Exactly WHAT can he say that would placate the protestors (who should know he's been trying to get peace since last October)? Also what can he do in his limited power? I don't know the answers to be fair, but at the same time..it's been discussed a lot.
06:37 AM - May 01, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Honestly, just coming out, acknowledging what's happening, and publicly addressing it and calling for restraint would be a start. The President has the loudest voice in the world.

Beyond that... I suppose if worst comes to worst he could deploy the National Guard.
06:41 AM - May 01, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
Of course, that can easily be played as "the Biden regime cracking down on peaceful pro-Palestinian protesters", and God help us if there's a violent clash between protesters and Federal troops. That's probably the dream scenario for the MAGA types (and Putin).
06:42 AM - May 01, 2024
A
That's why he's not gonna deploy the National Guard. Even he knows how bad of optics that will be. Plus...the history of Kent State is still on his mind. Could he make a statement calling for peace, yes. However, I have a gut feeling the loudest mouths will still complain even if he does.
06:50 AM - May 01, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Some will complain whatever he does, of course.

But I think it has gotten to the point now where simply being hands off isn't an option any more.

He's the President. In the face of a national crisis, he is expected to visibly lead. It just comes with the job.
07:06 AM - May 01, 2024
A
I have said this before, the president, is the QB, for the glory he gets, and for the blame outside of their control he will also get.
07:08 AM - May 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}