Salma Typhii
A
We need to have a serious talk about how USians glorify outlaws and criminals. It is steeped into our culture from the OK Corral to Bonnie and Clyde to Al Capone to the Godfather etc. We are actually kinda weird this way and most places don't make gangsters mythic figures #GunViolence
Mybuddysully @mybuddysully
Prosecutors believe 14-year-old charged in four murders will be charged as an adult.
12:20 PM - May 01, 2024
12:25 PM - May 01, 2024
Evolve Undefined
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
This was the first book that truly opened my eyes to deep legacy of violence in this country. It doesn’t sit well that it is focused on the life of an African American… but I would have to go back and see if the issue of white supremacy is dealt with properly. https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/...
12:45 PM - May 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
There is definitely a racist undercurrent to this. No Black Al Capone is going to get the same folk hero status
12:49 PM - May 01, 2024
Courtney Kimmelman (she/her)
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
This country was built on White Supremacy, Racism and Slavery.
01:05 PM - May 01, 2024
Annie Bee Good
A
But first, can we talk about why a 14 year old shouldn't be tried as an adult? In brain development, there is absolutely no comparison in the judgment & impulse control regions.
12:39 PM - May 01, 2024
Yimi_Kyrabo
A
Great point. Everything you mention also bleeds towards an antigovernment mentality too. It simply makes sense that if you are a hired killer, drug runner, shady business owner etc... you probably want a diminished govt.
12:36 PM - May 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Yimi_Kyrabo.
I will bet you more Americans can name 10 famous gangsters or outlaws than can name 10 presidents or find 10 countries on a map 🤔
12:42 PM - May 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}