Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 1/6
I just signed this petition. My text is below. I hear Congress is voting imminently.

https://act.newmode.net/ac...
04:01 PM - May 01, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 2/6
As a constituent, I’m writing to ask you to support the right of students to protest and to vote no on H.R. 6090, the so-called "Antisemitism Awareness Act."
04:02 PM - May 01, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 3/6
This legislation is an effort to conflate criticism of the Israeli government with antisemitism. It has nothing to do with making Jewish students safer, but only threatens free speech and the right of assembly as granted by our US Constitution.
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 4/6
Student protesters are calling for a lasting ceasefire and the end of unconditional U.S. military support to Israel. Yet while they exercise their right to free speech, violent agitators are provoking violence.
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 5/6
Indeed, the head of the ‘Proud Boys’ was photographed just outside the Columbia University gate.

As for this legislation, far from protecting students, it is a transparent, crass effort to conflate criticism of the Israeli government with antisemitism.
04:03 PM - May 01, 2024
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 6/6
Criticism of a governmental policy is not antisemitic.

Please contact college administrations within your district and ask that they protect the rights of students to protest, live, and learn unimpeded.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Jerry Wechsler / NYC
04:03 PM - May 01, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}