Dave Plus Coffee (he/him)
A
I love the anachronistic design of things like Fallout, or steampunk, and so on .. here's a look at the design of the world of Fallout 🍿
Retrofuturism: Why Fallout Looks Like the 1950s - YouTube

Retrofuturism is an aesthetic often described as “a vision of the future, from the past”, and is a style that encapsulates many different forms of media, inc...

07:03 AM - May 02, 2024
Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt
A
In response to Dave Plus Coffee (he/him).
I fell in love with Batman: The Animated Series partially because the anachronistic stylings were so interesting. Almost cognitive dissonance.
07:14 AM - May 02, 2024
A
In response to Whiskerchops von Fuzzybutt.
It was dark art deco, and I love art deco, which is why I love Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, because it's filmed entirely in art deco 🍿
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) Trailer #1 | Movieclips Classic Trailers - YouTube

Check out the official Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) trailer starring Jude Law! Let us know what you think in the comments below.► Buy or Rent...

07:16 AM - May 02, 2024
A
I need to give that one a rewatch. Blue-screen acting was a bit harsh “back in the day” (showing my age). But younger directors and designers keep pointing back to this one in particular.
07:21 AM - May 02, 2024
A
You can get by on style, sometimes. I'm critical of movies that feel like they half-ass their way across the finish line, but in this case the look & tone of the film are supported by the "dated" look of the backgrounds and SFX, etc. It's about bringing the right pieces together in the right way 🍿
07:27 AM - May 02, 2024
A
And there’s a big difference between half-assing because you just don’t care to figure it out vs. half-assing because you just don’t know and made a bad call
07:38 AM - May 02, 2024
A
There are a few Big Name Directors working today who, IMO, routinely churn out half-assed crap that lacks true filmcraft, but everyone has the right hair, makeup, & costumes, & the background looks pretty, & their actors emote vs. act, and they get paid millions and millions of dollars to do it 🍿
08:00 AM - May 02, 2024
A
Tank Girl: almost no budget; amazing, fun movie

Dune: 2+ hour glossy magazine ad page in which things happen, apparently
08:04 AM - May 02, 2024
A
+1 on Tank Girl. Always surprised it didn’t do better, even as a cult film.

The Harder They Fall - probably the most beautiful movie I’ve seen in recent (post-CGI) era
08:47 AM - May 02, 2024
A
Haven't seen that one but will add it to my list 🍿
08:47 AM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}