Charlie Mel
A
thread 1/7
Saturday night, journalists, politicians, and celebrities gathered for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, an annual fundraiser for the White House Correspondents’ Association, which protects press passes for journalists who regularly cover the White House, assigns seats in the briefing room, fu
09:02 AM - May 02, 2024
Charlie Mel
A
thread 2/7
nds scholarships for aspiring journalists, and gives awards for outstanding journalism. It is traditionally an evening of comedy, but last night, after a humorous speech, President Joe Biden implored the press to take the threat of dictatorship seriously.
Charlie Mel
A
thread 3/7
“I’m sincerely not asking of you to take sides but asking you to rise up to the seriousness of the moment; move past the horse race numbers and the gotcha moments and the distractions, the sideshows that have come to dominate and sensationalize our politics; and focus on what’s actually at stake,
Charlie Mel
A
thread 4/7
” he said. “Every single one of us has…a serious role to play in making sure democracy endures…. I have my role, but, with all due respect, so do you.”
George Stephanopoulos of ABC’s This Week apparently took this reminder to heart.
Charlie Mel
A
thread 5/7
“Until now,” he said in the show’s opener on Sunday, “[n]o American president had ever faced a criminal trial. No American president had ever faced a federal indictment for retaining and concealing classified documents.
Charlie Mel
A
thread 6/7
No American president had ever faced a federal indictment or a state indictment for trying to overturn an election, or been named an unindicted co-conspirator in two other states for the same crime.
Charlie Mel
A
thread 7/7
No American president ever faced hundreds of millions of dollars in judgments for business fraud, defamation, and sexual abuse….

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}