Vegawriters
A
thread 1/6
I am so proud of the campus protesters. I was one my freshman year at UT. We took over the law school and refused to leave until our demands regarding the racist rhetoric of one of the professors was met, along with other demands about tenure review and the like.
07:39 PM - May 02, 2024
Vegawriters
A
thread 2/6
I was so scared. I was away from home, failing my astronomy class, sure that if I was arrested everything would fall apart.

But we held fast and guess what, our demands were met.

Activism has many steps. We need activists and advocates and strategists & all of them are important in the process.
07:41 PM - May 02, 2024
Vegawriters
A
thread 3/6
This stuff is supposed to be messy and loud and disruptive. It's supposed to be confusing to people on the outside. It often doesn't change in huge ways. But it moves the needle in long form goals and plans.
07:43 PM - May 02, 2024
Vegawriters
A
thread 4/6
Occupy? Looked like a mess. And it was at times. But some of thier goals we now talk about in larger political ways in a regular basis.
07:45 PM - May 02, 2024
Vegawriters
A
thread 5/6
Activism is incredibly traumatizing. And my hope is that the protesting communities are actively working on self and community care. The high of the protest also comes with trauma. And you need to work together to heal after the tents - and cameras - are gone.
07:45 PM - May 02, 2024
Vegawriters
A
thread 6/6
I also have a whole damn thread about the inherent problems in people not wanting to encourage discourse and assuming people who are calling for change are not "making sense" but ... not sure people want that right now.

Ahem.
07:50 PM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}