Licia
A
thread 1/10
@Oh_Well -- I'm often stunned by how many people do not understand the meaning of the word, racism. As such, many people will claim that the Japanese are racists simply because that person didn't get his/her way. Racism & xenophobia also do not carry the same weight. So, are the Japanese racist?
09:34 PM - May 02, 2024
Licia
A
thread 2/10
Yes, the Japanese are racist because there is legal and societal discrimination against their ethnic minorities and Indigenous people. That would make for a 30-part thread. Let's focus only on Black people. Are the Japanese anti-Black? Anti-African? The complicated answer is Yes and No.
09:34 PM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Licia
A
thread 3/10
A majority of Japanese people don't sit around hating on Black people. Many are simply wary or afraid of any non-Japanese people. This being said, Anti-Blackness has been heavily imported into this nation through Western media (books, tv, movies, textbooks, and so forth).
Licia
A
thread 4/10
There are also some people who have given specific groups across the diaspora a bad reputation. Jamaican and Nigerian men, especially those who marry Japanese women, seem to be problematic. The society itself is fundamentally sexist, so Black women should expect to be treated like Japanese women.
Licia
A
thread 5/10
Black women and all other women are expected to act like stereotypical fantasy Japanese women. It's fairly disgusting, but in reality, Japanese women are saavy and shrewd. Some play men like finely tuned instruments. I advise all women HERE to learn from them.
Licia
A
thread 6/10
Is it possible for Black women to have a happy & fulfilling life here without all the racist baggage we're forced to carry in other countries, especially the US & UK? The answer is Yes! Black people can thrive here under the right circumstances. Naturally, everyone needs to abide by societal rules.
Licia
A
thread 7/10
The most important path to happiness is to be a part of a group. This is a group-oriented society. There is an unspoken caste system here. I was married before I arrived. I already had a large family & affiliation with my husband's job. That affiliation expanded when I started working there, too.
Licia
A
thread 8/10
When people ask me where I come from, I introduce myself by name & affiliation before saying Alabama. I establish my position in this society first. Things usually run smoothly from there. Obviously, since I have my own group, outside people are a bonus. What about making friends? Hmmm... difficult.
Licia
A
thread 9/10
Many non-Japanese are actually seeking interpreters, not actual friends. They want someone to depend on. That's weakness and even I don't want to deal with it. If you're bright and independent, people will seek you out. Even so, the friendships might never be like your current BFF.
Licia
A
thread 10/10
My apologies. This thread is too long because I'm fundamentally disorganized. There *is* a place for Black people in Japan. Though some people will stare, giggle or trash talk, most people won't. This country is NOT a hub of Anti-Blackness. Culture clashes are inevitable though.
Idiots Abound, LLC
A
In response to Licia.
I'm blown away by how many of fellow white folks haven't a fucking clue.
10:44 PM - May 02, 2024
Licia
A
In response to Idiots Abound, LLC.
It's willful ignorance.
10:48 PM - May 02, 2024
Just Curious About Stuff
A
In response to Licia.
Thank you for this!

This is one of the reasons I enjoy Spoutible so much: to learn things I didn’t know and new perspectives and understanding of people, places, and things

This was vey informative and enjoyable to read 👍🏻

😃✌🏻🖖🏻
09:58 PM - May 02, 2024
Licia
A
In response to Just Curious About Stuff.
Thank you. I was trying to provide accurate information. Moving to another country is challenging, but it isn't impossible to have a good life. Recognizing oneself as the one who must adapt is the important lesson.
10:07 PM - May 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}