Meg Smythe
A
thread 1/8
How to be a true friend—

Those who follow me have listened to me whine for the last 9 days about how sick I am. Today was my first day out of stinky pjs.

This whole time, I’ve been incredibly concerned about my BFF. She’s been in hospital with surgical complications since the day I fell ill.
01:03 AM - May 03, 2024
Meg Smythe
A
thread 2/8
We met 22 years ago when I was her nurse for 6 weeks. We are the same age. By the end of the 6 weeks we knew we’d found a forever friendship.

For the last 9 days, BFF has been alone in hospital without visitors. Ordinarily, I’d be visiting and translating the medical-speak for her.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 3/8
It’s bad enough to be in hospital, but to be alone, increasingly sick, and confused by conflicting medical opinions makes it truly frightening.

A few days ago, I mentioned my BFF to a group of dear women who are mighty pray-ers. They all appealed to their respective deities for her healing.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 4/8
Sweet huh? I thought so too.

But there’s more…

Today, one of these women texted me to say she was near the hospital where BFF is and asked if it was okay if she visited BFF on my behalf.

The praying woman is also a good friend.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 5/8
Although she’s heard me speak of BFF, they’ve never met—even though I’ve tried to connect them a number of times.

So, out of the blue, my praying friend offered to visit my BFF, brought her flowers with a card she’d written, signed with my name.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 6/8
Well, they hit it off (I knew they would) and sent me pictures afterwards.

My praying friend knew that making sure my BFF was seen—really seen—would mean so much more to me than any other kindness she could offer whilst I’m bed bound.

My heart is full and I am so grateful.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 7/8
No one has ever done me such an insightful kindness before.

I want to say “I’m speechless,” but that would be a lie. I haven’t been speechless since I uttered my first words. “Talks too much” was a staple on all my report cards.
Meg Smythe
A
thread 8/8
Instead I’ll say this: A true friend is one who pays attention beyond the superficial, seeks to understand you well enough to know what’s truly important to You, and then does it without being prompted.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}