gdavidbrown
A
So, is US policy toward Israel a result of its creation? The US was one of its creators, breaking the area's then current cultural organization. So, the US feels they broke it and so own it forever? Was there a geopolitical reason for its creation that I'm not aware of?
12:29 PM - May 03, 2024
Kos
A
In response to gdavidbrown.
One possible reason is that the US was the first to recognize the state of Israel as a sovereign nation and stood by them through the very tumultuous and dangerous few years as they were established and then repeatedly attacked by their neighbors. We are also tied economically.
12:33 PM - May 03, 2024
gdavidbrown
A
In response to Kos.
Yes, recognizing the "right" of taking land from one culture and giving it to another. It strikes me as grossly unjust and immoral.
12:38 PM - May 03, 2024
Kos
A
The world is often an ugly place and the solutions to problems are frequently imperfect. It's easy to take one side and pummel the other with criticism. It's much harder to seek peaceful solutions.
12:42 PM - May 03, 2024
gdavidbrown
A
In response to Kos.
Are you suggesting that the creation of Israel was a solution, however imperfect, to a problem? If so, please, explain. :-)
12:48 PM - May 03, 2024
Kos
A
This deserves a better answer than the first one I gave you. I do think our support for Israel was - in part - an effort to assuage our collective national guilt over the Holocaust. I don't know if that's objectively a good or bad thing, but I think it's factual.
01:13 PM - May 03, 2024
gdavidbrown
A
Ah! Thank you. That's new to me: a response to guilt. Could have been. That would help to explain why it's so incomprehensible to me. :-)
In response to Kos.
01:42 PM - May 03, 2024
Kos
A
We've all got our own experiences, of course - our own cultural exposures, or lack thereof. Mine says lots of people knew what was going on with the Jews in Germany prior the war starting, so I think there was a genuine sense that we collectively failed to protect them from a monstrous calamity.
02:26 PM - May 03, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}