Nyah M
A
After revealing that I read Flowers in the Attic and Clan of the Cave Bear back in the 5th grade(on another platform), I realize that the generation after me (Millennials, Gen Z) were a lot more sheltered and censored than we (Gen X) were.
03:49 PM - May 03, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Nyah M.
::chuckles::

I remember asking a neighbor if I could borrow "I, Claudius" when I was 10. She said it was too adult for me--yet she lent me "The Children of Ham"! I was completely unfazed by adult-level books, with the exception of Harold Robbins.
03:52 PM - May 03, 2024
Nyah M
A
In response to Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie.
My parents took me to see R-rated movies like The Exorcist, Children of the Corn, among others when I was like 10 and had no problem answering any question I had. Boy did I have questions.
03:55 PM - May 03, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
I *bet.* 🤣

Mom didn't keep me from reading anything, but she wanted to make sure I understood it. So she'd ask me about the books, and sometimes comment. Like with "Mommie Dearest," she snorted, "I never did like that bitch (meaning Joan Crawford)."
In response to Nyah M.
03:59 PM - May 03, 2024
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
She also read a lot of my books. Like "Clan of the Cave Bear," "Aztec," "The Name of the Rose," etc. She found Stephen King too scary, but would read any true-crime books I brought home.
04:03 PM - May 03, 2024
Nyah M
A
Same...Reason I now find myself questioning the reading comprehension of a lot of people.

My parents not only wanted me to be educated but wanted me to understand what I was learning.
04:01 PM - May 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}