I don't need a "cure"
A
I'm trying to get my partner to understand that the way I read & can read so many books & stuff is not because of some kind of intellectual superiority as he struggles a bit. It is because of hyperlexia. That's all it is. Plus I love to read. But he can math. I have dyscalculia & cannot. At all.
04:20 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
In response to I don't need a "cure".
For me it's because the Florida public school system ran all kinds of experiments on it's gifted kids & they trained, then stress tested us to get our WPM read as high as they could. It was stressful as hell to be an elementary school kid in that environment, but damn if it didn't come in handy.
04:26 PM - May 03, 2024
I don't need a "cure"
A
In response to 2PupsMommy.
Oh snap. Well at least it came in handy. I grew up in Florida too & went to public schools here but I was always in just regular classes than drop out prevention with the at risk kids or whatever in middle school
04:29 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
They also put us thru a Reagan Era cold war project called "Ground Zero" where they taught us all the effects of various nuclear bomb yields, aftereffects on the populations of Hiroshima & Nagasaki then told us to design bomb shelters. Because we'd "think outside the box". Mental scars be damned.
04:52 PM - May 03, 2024
I don't need a "cure"
A
But also doesn't that project kinda ignore the fact that in Florida you can't dig too deep into the ground or so I've heard. How would one even have a fallout shelter here? 🤔
05:02 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
That's the hell of it, it wasn't for "us". It was for the govt & high muckity mucks. I do remember we encased the entire thing in 6 feet of parrafin wax to defeat (I think) gamma rays. Whichever one it was that goes through ground & rock like it's nothing. Wax has such a weird lattice it stops it.
05:07 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
It's funny. I'm actually even nervous still about saying that last part. I don't know if any of our ideas were even built. We were not allowed to talk about the project with any kids or teachers not in gifted program. I'm sure it's probably long declassified by now.
05:13 PM - May 03, 2024
Mimi Wells
A
That’s so bizarre. I was in gifted in Florida, graduated early 80s, and we did nothing like there. What county were you in?
05:15 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
In response to Mimi Wells.
Orange. Orlando public school.
05:16 PM - May 03, 2024
Mimi Wells
A
I was in Orange—Edgewater! SUPER weird. What school?
05:18 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
Sorry, but no. I had a stalker for years and I don't put ANY personally identifiable info on the internet.
05:23 PM - May 03, 2024
Mimi Wells
A
Totally understandable. Sorry you’ve had that happen—I’m sure it sucks.
05:29 PM - May 03, 2024
2PupsMommy
A
Well, I moved cross country and changed my name, then married and changed it again. So, it'd be harder for him to find me now. But the five years before that were hell, so I don't take chances.
05:31 PM - May 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}