Ellen Leigh
A
When you put out poison meant for vermin around your yard, you should use #caution to make sure your tenant's dogs don't get into it, requiring a 24 hr stay at the E-vet. Mole poison reacts with stomach acid to create a deadly gas that kills who-ever breathes it, people too. #DailyPictureTheme
09:42 AM - May 04, 2024
roxannehawn
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
Ugh. And the newer ones are MUCH harder to treat vs the old kinds of poisons.
10:38 AM - May 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
I bet! This stuff is so deadly that the e-vet said to get out of the car if the dogs started to throw up. One of them did in the exam room at the vets- we had to take both dogs outside immediately and wait, they had to get hazmat suits to clean the room.
In response to roxannehawn.
11:32 AM - May 04, 2024
roxannehawn
A
Holy crap. I write about vet med for a living, and I didn't realize about the off-gassing and all that. So scary! I hope your puppers will be ok.
11:39 AM - May 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
They were fine after a 24 hour stay in vented isolation with IV's. Diarrhea for a week though. Both are gone now, but lived fairly long lives. Byrdie had kidney and bladder troubles, Bea was nearly 16 when she passed.
11:47 AM - May 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
The gas is produced in the stomach, when the animal vomits in their tunnel, the gas kills them, so it's deadly to anything that eats it, or is exposed. If we had remained in the car, room or house if we were unaware- we all would have died.
11:50 AM - May 04, 2024
shadeygreyskies
A
Poor poochies.
How are they, and you. after this nightmare?
11:35 AM - May 04, 2024
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to shadeygreyskies.
They made it through that and lived to cause more trouble for many more years. Both are gone now, but had fairly long lives, despite always getting into some sort of mischief.
11:57 AM - May 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}