Katie Kadwell
A
thread 1/3
Ooh boy… advice or insight requested: I own a small business, and had employees back in 2022 and part of 2023. I received a letter (actually a case docket) in the mail documenting an appeal from one of my former employees who is suing another employer (not me) for UI benefits.
11:25 AM - May 04, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 2/3
From what I can tell, they were denied unemployment based on being an independent contractor rather than a direct employee, but the company who hired them did some questionable things with their legal status. Anyway, it looks like I’m being requested to be present at a phone hearing for their appeal
11:27 AM - May 04, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
thread 3/3
I’m wondering:
1. Do I need to be present as a witness?
2. Are my rights in any way in jeopardy?

This former employee is also a friend, although we don’t have much contact and haven’t spoken in months. My instinct says not to contact them until this is over. I think they got screwed, TBH.
11:30 AM - May 04, 2024
Adele Not the singer
A
Can you review your state’s rules regarding unemployment to see if they are trying to get you to pay rather than the company that fired the employee?
In response to Katie Kadwell.
11:50 AM - May 04, 2024
Katie Kadwell
A
In response to Adele Not the singer.
Good idea! That’s kind of what I’m afraid of but I can’t tell yet. I need to do more reading (and talk to a lawyer).
11:55 AM - May 04, 2024
Adele Not the singer
A
In response to Katie Kadwell.
Good luck- let us know how it goes
12:01 PM - May 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}